Saturday, September 22, 2007

Uh.... Those Grey Clouds Don't Exactly Bode Well....

All right, I'd just like to start off by saying that the arrangement of pictures at the end of this post is sure to look ghastly. Unfortunately, blogger doesn't really have an attractive layout that includes pictures and captions and whatnot, so we'll just have to go with what we've got.... But hey, you seriously can't go wrong with pictures of Joseph's Coat.... I think they'll hold their own, even if they are bizarrely placed and such.... Onward!


July 12, 2007 (Continued)

Zach pulled out his compass, set it against the map once more to verify the accuracy of the degree he’d fixed on the compass, and then headed off. It was definitely a learning experience, to watch a master of orienteering at work. He selected tree after tree along our determined route, and Tim and I fanned out behind him and created our own routes with respect to his.

I had envisioned this section to be difficult to navigate, since bushwhacking with full backpacks is rarely the proverbial picnic. However, the trees, though they blocked out nearly the entire sky, were were far enough apart that we could comfortably make our way across the initial flat area and then begin a gradual descent.

Our route intersected several game trails and eventually led us to a tiny mountain spring that musically trickled and cut a downward path through the grass. Zach detached his backpack, stuck his head under the water (the heat of the day was still a factor), and eventually took a drink. Boy howdy, the water tasted like a little bit o’ heaven!

I’d like to mention at this juncture that the spirits of the ManBearPigs were higher than they’d been and continued to increase with every step we took. We were seeking FAIRYLAND!!!! And couldn’t nothin’ be greater than that!

We’d been bushwhacking for about 45 minutes when we began to notice a break in the trees ahead of us. As we continued onwards, the walls of a canyon-like formation slowly became visible, and their reddish and golden hues could only lead us to one conclusion—we were staring, as I had so longed to do, at the formation of Joseph’s Coat Hot Springs.

We made our way to a vantage point atop a hill and retrieved our cameras to photographically commemorate our achievement. Whoa, what a thrill!! I’d seen the pictures of others, and now here I stood, taking my own. I could only imagine the excitement that would grip me and most likely be the cause of a heart attack if I trained my camera lens on the cones of Fairyland the following day....

We gradually descended the hill and followed the contours of Joseph’s Coat until we could make out Broad Creek below. As soon as we reached it, I stuck my hand into the water. It was a moderate temperature, neither too cold from elevation or too warm from thermal run-off.

As we had reached the canyon and travelled to the edges of the creek, grey clouds had begun to obscure the blue of the sky and form an impenetrable mass that hid the sun. Such a meteorological event could only foretell one thing....

We found the antlers on the island, right in the middle of Broad Creek and, not having any real idea as to the placement of the campsite, did as directed by Andi and started to follow the creek. The way involved a few fordings, and I followed Zach as he took his hiking boots off and nimbly crossed the creek twice before settling on the opposite side once more.

As we forded, the clouds let loose with a few drops of rain.... which became a few more drops of rain.... which became a drizzle.... which became a steady light rain. The water that splashed the bottoms of my rolled-up pant legs seemed almost inconsequential; if the creek didn’t do me in, a torrential downpour of rain surely would. I entertained only one thought: Bring it!







VERY TOP OF POST: Our first look at Joseph's Coat Hot Springs!
TOP: Zach and Tim along Broad Creek as we wend our way through the area
CENTRE: The colours and features of Joseph's Coat
BOTTOM: The Antlers of the Island

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Rachel! I'm off to Livejournal an continue my own account! I need to go trough all summer before I get to Fairyland!

Anonymous said...

Rachichel, you need to come back...from vegas...oh wait, you're not IN vegas...heh heh...you're in northern NV, which is the ugliest damn place I've ever been :) you need to write more fairyland installments...and e-mail me so we know you're still alive...

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, clean and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Thomas